The 1690 Tuscan Stradivari Violin in the Accademia di Santa Cecilia

TREASURES OF ITALIAN VIOLIN MAKING - II


The “Tuscan” by Antonio Stradivari is one of the four instruments and the only violin remaining from the “Medici Quintet”, which Stradivari made in 1690 for the Grand Prince of Tuscany. Currently housed at the Museo degli strumenti musicali dell’Accademia di Santa Cecilia in Roma, the violin is one of the rare Stradivari’s instruments in pristine state of preservation, still fully covered with its original varnish and is an ideal subject for studying the Cremonese Master’s methods and style.


The second issue in our series Treasures of Italian Violin Making allows makers and enthusiasts to appreciate all nuances of this wonderful instrument, thanks to the photos by Jan Röhrmann, micro-CT scans and varnish analyses carried out at the Vienna University and at the Laboratori Arvedi of the Museo del Violino, Cremona, respectively.

The closest any of us will get to looking over the maestro’s shoulder on a Cremonese morning in 1690

(read full review here)

John Dilworth, The Strad - May 2018
OrderGo to TIVM 1
  • Edizioni Scrollavezza & Zanrè (2017), edited by Andrea Zanrè
  • Photos by Jan Röhrmann
  • Essays by Annalisa Bini, Alessandra Barabaschi, Brigitte Brandmair, Fausto Cacciatori, Carlo Chiesa, Alberto Giordano, Rudolf Hopfner, Laboratori Arvedi, Peter Ratcliff, Andrea Zanrè, and a preface by Charles Beare
  • 88 pages in 45,7 by 28,5 cm format
  • 800 copies, texts in English
  • DVD with multimedia extra contents, including a sound recording by Fabio Biondi